According to the The Old Farmer’s Almanac, here’s what summer 2018 will be like for the ABW Halton ClimateCare service area (Burlington, Oakville, Milton, and Mississauga):
“Summer will be HOTTER than normal with rainfall BELOW normal in Southwest Ontario. The hottest periods will be in early and late June, early July and mid- to late August. September and October will be WARMER and slightly DRIER than normal.”
That means your air conditioner is going to be working overtime this year.
However, if your home cooling system is exhibiting any of the following signs, you’ll need to replace it them before the scorching weather really arrives.
Sign 1: The temperature is always inconsistent
Right now, your air conditioner unit blows air. Sometimes it’s at the right temperature, while other times it’s not as cool as you’d like it to be.
And whenever you walk throughout your house, some rooms (say, the kitchen) are cooler than others (say, the master bedroom).
- THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM IF your air conditioner occasionally generates warm air.
Sign 2: There’s too much moisture leaking
Sometimes, your air conditioner will generate a small amount of condensation. That’s considered normal and not indicative of immediate air conditioner repair.
If that moisture is ending up inside your somehow, that isn’t good.
After all, water + electrical components are not a good mix.
- THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM IF refrigerant or some other coolant is actually leaking from your air conditioner.
Sign 3: Your air conditioner freezes
Look at the coils while the unit is in operation. If they start to freeze, shut off your air conditioner ASAP.
- THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM IF debris, contaminants or other objects are impeding air flow.
Sign 4: It smells bad
If there’s a nasty smell emanating from your air conditioner, take a look at the filter. Not only does a dirty filter impact the indoor air quality of your home, it can also leave an unpleasant odour.
If you change the filter and there’s still a bad smell, that could be a sign of a more substantial issue.
- THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM IF excessive amounts of dust, mold, and mildew are spreading through the air ducts in your home.
Sign 5: Your monthly energy bills keep rising
Even if your air conditioner looks, sounds, and acts “normal”, your hydro bill will let you know for certain.
If it spikes dramatically (and you aren’t quite sure why), you should check to see how long you’ve been using it.
- THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM IF your system is overworked and reaching the end of its lifespan.
Recognize any of these signs? Contact ABW Halton ClimateCare
Summer is coming up quick. Just imagine how uncomfortable it’ll be if your air conditioner is unavailable for any length of time.
Don’t ignore the signs mentioned in this blog and don’t just hope they “go away on their own” either.
If you have any concerns about your AC, please feel free to:
- CONTACT US with your questions or comments
- SCHEDULE A SERVICE APPOINTMENT today
- LEARN ABOUT MAINTENANCE PLANS for your AC